Cover

Introduction

When I began writing fictional pieces about my state, two important thoughts immediately came to mind. First, tobacco and North Carolina have a past which is intertwined. Like North Carolina, tobacco has seen glorious days, and now the use of tobacco, and North Carolina’s place in the hemisphere of man, is forcing a re-examination of reality. Second, I wanted to summarize a description of North Carolina in a few words in the title. The word grace jumped into my mind without hesitation. Grace adequately explains how North Carolina has managed to move with nimbleness and elegance in the face of overwhelming odds before and since the founding of the United States.

While some states in the union have maintained stiffness about many issues, North Carolina has practiced finesse. Good results often emerge when this happens. In other words, since becoming the 12th colony to ratify the Constitution of this country, North Carolina has been graceful. Although North Carolina has encountered situations which are the complete opposite of excelling--even failing--the Tar Heel state has been a place where great and wonderful events have been noteworthy.

For instance, most people know that North Carolina was the first place where flight occurred, at Kitty Hawk, N.C. On December 17, 1903, the Wright brothers made four successful flights on the beaches of this state, introducing the world to airplanes. In 1789, North Carolina founded the first public university in this nation at Chapel Hill. In one of the three tales in this book, I write about UNC-Chapel Hill in the short story “Remembering the Hill,” viewing the educational and political importance of having such an institution with a comic flair. In addition, North Carolina has given America two presidents, at least one joint chief chairman, and other national figures. These are just some of the proud accomplishments of this southern state.

However, reluctance to change, which can be penalizing, is built into the graceful psyche of the people as well. One clear example of this hesitance to alter the culture of the state occurred with the sit-ins which helped the civil rights movement in Greensboro and across the U.S. in 1961. I write about the sit-ins from the perspective of a child in “The Bluest Eyes.” Without question Greensboro is a welcoming city today with many famous tournaments yearly played at the coliseum. Again, the state demonstrates the flexibility to change views, adopting a more inclusive attitude for the citizens who reside here and those who visit. 

Another historic event in which North Carolina acted with uncertainty for the future occurred with the curious idea of separating children who were blind by the color of their skin. Until 1971, when the school for the blind became integrated, the Governor Morehead School had two campuses in Raleigh. Yet, the state’s residential school for the visually impaired is on one campus now. The property is also the host to the Wake County Women’s Leadership Academy. In “The Wrong Side of the Tracks,” I wrote about the segregated school from the vantage point of a thirteen-year-old boy.

Nevertheless, one can think of all of the world famous athletes from this state (Michael Jordan, James Worthy, etc.), musical talent and actors (Andy Griffith, Randy Travis, Thelonious Monk, etc.), and know North Carolina seems to catch its second wind. We have paid attention to the gradually thinning out smoke of tobacco burning, which helped build the state while choking some, causing the thinking of those here to become clearer.  I’ve had relatives work in the tobacco fields, but I’ve also known those who attended the world class institution at Duke University, named after a family which made a fortune with tobacco. North Carolina is trying to recover from the missteps of the past. 

By contrast, just think about how the Hatteras Lighthouse is always on the verge of disappearing forever off the coast here, and one understands North Carolina has learned to swim the currents of change, even when on the precipice of collapse. Apparently, we try to tear ourselves apart to establish balance during these swings from instability to stability. An example of the moving in and out of the political tides in this state was during the constant battles between Senator Jesse Helms (R), (1924-2008), and Governor Jim Hunt (D), (1937--). Under former Governor Hunt’s leadership, North Carolina was known as the Education State. Yet, Senator Jesse Helms would react in Washington, D.C. in a manner which suggested otherwise. Today, we are addressing the issue of being very low in ranking of states concerning education. But that, too, will change. It’s what we do

Imprint

Publisher: BookRix GmbH & Co. KG

Images: Brian Raia
Publication Date: 09-30-2014
ISBN: 978-3-7368-4391-2

All Rights Reserved

Dedication:
This book is for Lori, Erin, Tar Heels, Pirates, and Eagles, but also for Caps and Mighty Chargers!

Next Page
Page 1 /