Cover

Introduction: The Power of Words

Recently, I had a discussion with a poet about the evolution of the meaning of words. We agreed words can change their meaning over time and come to mean different things to different people.  The underlying power of words and their use is fundamental to our understanding of who we are and where we may go in life. However, we both recognize a single person can expand the meaning of a word for the whole language by using his words in a new and refreshing manner. Poetry has such power and influence.

I disagree with the idea that poets are the main people who read poetry. One can only count the many lyrics to songs we are familiar with in our lives to know everyone at some point experiences the power of poetry. Just visit any church and you will probably hear classical hymns performed with pure feeling and complete understanding. In fact, in my collection I wrote two of my poems straight from the American gospel tradition, “I Won’t Have to Cry Anymore,” in Chapter 4, and “Walk on Faith,” in Chapter 1. Spiritual words can calm us and encourage us in many ways.

Furthermore, stop by any elementary school and you will no doubt hear stories from Dr. Seuss or nursery rhymes from across the globe. Rhyming poetry written for children helps us from an early age to comprehend how words sound together. There is also the added benefit of developing a sense of humor and grasping storytelling in poetry. But some argue rhyming interferes with the “Imagery” which poetry seeks to draw attention to in certain kinds of verse. Perhaps, or perhaps not.

I would argue we all have a voice inside of us which wants to reach out and share in poetry or any other form. Indeed, even poets debate what is and what  isn’t poetry. Sure enough, meter and alliteration are some of the other important features of poetry, like rhyming. But I am interested in creating “meaningful” works of poetry. In order to accomplish this task, I listened to what my “inner” poet tells me. I draw upon my various experiences (cultural, social, physical, emotional, educational, spiritual) and let the poem take shape. Through that process, the poem arises--some rhyming; some in free verse. Others have more experimental formats.

For these reasons, the crucial element to me in writing poetry is producing works which “connect with the reader.” After all, the purpose of reading is to obtain comprehension. Likewise, the purpose of writing is to “communicate.” I want the reader to enjoy these poems, feeling an intimacy with the words. To such a degree, I have written works which I hope leaves the reader wanting to keep

Imprint

Publisher: BookRix GmbH & Co. KG

Publication Date: 09-10-2014
ISBN: 978-3-7368-3816-1

All Rights Reserved

Dedication:
This book is for Erin, Lori, and Meg, who helped me immensely.

Next Page
Page 1 /