When a Southern Woman Rambles...

My Southern Fried Life By:
When a Southern Woman Rambles...
Growing up in the South we have a 'thing' for food. Today I very rarely eat anything fried but Lord have Mercy...when I was a kid, I don't think a day went by where I didn't have at least ONE fried something at EVERY SINGLE MEAL!

Quite frankly, I'm surprised if I cut my finger when I'm cooking today that my blood doesn't ooze out like Crisco!

Yum, yum! Some of my best childhood memories come from those moments when we'd sit around our great big round kitchen table and eat our meals...and it wasn't a meal if it didn't consist of a meat, two vegetables, a starch, and bread. Yes, technically 'bread' is a starch but you can't exactly sop up your gravy with grains of rice, now can you?!


This Book is Part of a Series "When a Southern Woman Rambles..."
All Books in this Series:
When a Southern Woman Rambles...
Laughing at Life, One Mint Julep at a Time
Free
When a Southern Woman Rambles...
Tragic Tales of Beauty: Volume I.
Free
When a Southern Woman Rambles...
Tragic Tales of Beauty, Volume II
Free
When a Southern Woman Rambles...
My Southern Fried Life
Free
When a Southern Woman Rambles...
Laughing at Life One Mint Julep at a Time (Another Jigger of Julep)
Free
Posts and Comments
Important Post
theartistatwork.official

You can publish this in a mobile app so a lot of readers can see your lovely work. Check on N0velStar and see how other writers earn by pursuing their passion in writing.

Important Post
valkyrie.lenneth

Aw! Such heart-warming book. I remember those winter days of my childhood when my mom used to make Fish Broth (I don't know how to say "caldo de pescado", sorry). My brother and I usually begged her to give us a sample of the broth in our old and favorite cups and when she finally agreed to do that she usually send us to watch TV while lunch was ready.

It felt so nice to hold the warm cup in both hands and take small sips from... Show more

2 Comments
This comment was deleted.
Important Post
RebeckDawn

So funny! Here are just a few of the reasons why this greatly entertained me: She gave her son the lighter, "Octopus Prime", not wanting to be rude by switching lines, carefully watching each price, "souse" (gross, by the way), grandma bucking the system, (you should hate plastic bags, have you seen garbage island???), "sam-a-ches", Barbie clothes, and I also can't tell people's ages anymore!

"directing her apology specially... Show more

2 Comments
L. Avery Brown

Thanks so much!

Did the cover give you a little giggle?

I started with the little guys in the pan. Then I thought of all the crazy food things I could've put on the front with them. But when it got down to it, those big 'OMG, how did I wind up here?' expressions on the chicken,... Show more

RebeckDawn

Yes, I like the humor on the cover - it goes well with the laughs inside :)

Important Post
judycolella

What a great glimpse into a checkout line in the South! Actually, it isn't too different from the ones up north, or further south in Florida. Your descriptions had me grinning and giggling from start to finish, and I love the way you tied it all together with a reminder about the importance of civility and kind-heartedness.

By the way, they do sell head-cheese in New York, mostly in Italian delicatessens. Not a fan, lol.

3 Comments
L. Avery Brown

ICKY--Head cheese--it just sounds SO wrong! HA! Glad you enjoyed the story! Hopefully, I'll have a few more up soon. And yes, I know...I know...there are editing boo-boos in it! :o)

glenmarcus

I have a potential chapter name for you... ┬┬r² (Pie are not square, pie are round)

L. Avery Brown

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Important Post
prandall

Loved this! I laughed throughout and enjoyed the "southern" expressions and language. And I think everyone can identify with the characters and situations described. Really enjoyable.

Important Post
Deleted User

Pg 5 could their possibly be! Is their a typo for there?

We don't have souse, or I never saw it. Whatever the case, I won't have the honor of eating it. Sounds disgusting to me, sorry for those who love it. A very amusing tale.

2 Comments
Deleted User

Pg10 and older gentlemen... Typo for an I think.

L. Avery Brown

Thanks! Souse is called by different names so maybe you have it but you just don't know it - of course, if you'd ever eaten it - you'd never forget it!

I figured there'd be more than 2 boo-boos in it! We all try to catch them on that first go 'round but usually I have to go... Show more

Important Post
Chris-Jean

Hi Avery, I enjoyed reading this witty book and will definitely read more.
I was intrigued to find 'souse' is what we Brits refer to as 'brawn'. I recognised the recipe as my uncle used to make his own brawn.
A brawn sarnie was one of my favorite snacks, but we Brits seem to have become reserved about selling it as it's no longer available in any shape or form.

Important Post
Deleted User

Sounded like a pretty normal day to me! I remember souse, or as the chicken catchers called it souse meat. They'd come into the little mom&pop store I worked at many years ago. Their shopping list normally consisted of a bottle of "boars head" wine, about 50 cent worth of that souse meat and let me have one of those pickled eggs.

Very well written, I could see it all.

I hadn't thought about souse for years, we carried it in the... Show more

2 Comments
L. Avery Brown

Canned souse...sounds...icky! This was 'Neeses' that came 'fresh from the Neese family to your family' everyday wrapped in parchment paper with a big ol' blue pig on the front. There was souse, hot souse, sausage, hot sausage, and liver pudding or, as my Mama and Daddy called... Show more

Deleted User

That's funny how one kind of souse can sound less icky than another.

Important Post
RevkenR

Well, the first thing I will have to say is that it was hard to start reading this one. As soon as I saw the cover I was laughing so hard I had to regain my composure before I could start reading it.

Perhaps I shouldn't have been laughing, as I thought at first that the pig was a baby.

As always with your stories, This story was wonderful. Reminds me not to get in too much of a hurry when I'm in the checkout line. You never... Show more

1 Comment
L. Avery Brown

Ha! Originally, there was only the skillet and the 'food' then I added and added until I said -- nope, go back to the skillet. Keep it in the skillet! Sometimes, simple is best!

Glad you enjoyed the story, too!! Can't wait to get started on the next few!

Important Post
Adam Lewis LaValley

This book seriously made me hungry (not only for food, but for more of the story!)

And although the cover is very cute...I could just eat them right up. o.o

I think my stomach is getting the best of me. Time for pizza...!

(Can't wait for an update!)

1 Comment
L. Avery Brown

Thanks oodles! My motto for life- Food for the belly, laughs for the soul!

Show Additional Posts
To ensure optimal functioning, our website uses cookies. By using the website you agree to the use of cookies. More info
OK
Top of page
No Thumbnail Remove Please choose a reason Please enter the place in the book. en en_US